Is Eating Sour Candy Safe?

Sour candies are a popular treat among young people, and they can be a lot of fun. But they also contain a high level of acid, which can wear away tooth enamel and cause other problems. In extreme cases, sour candies can burn the tongue and cause blisters in the mouth, as well as damage taste buds. To reduce these risks, it's important to limit consumption, rinse your mouth with water or milk, and chew gum after eating sour candy. The sugar in sour candies like Warheads or Sour Patch Kids is already harmful to teeth, but the acids in these candies make them even more dangerous.

It's also important to avoid letting sour candy stay on your tongue for too long. Other sticky treats like gummies and candies tend to have high concentrations of sugar and syrups. Supermodel and cookbook author Chrissy Teigen recently shared on her Instagram stories that her craving for sour candy during her third pregnancy had caused her to peel her tongue. Some researchers have also stated that consuming acidic candies can damage the tongue, causing blisters and even seizures. Sour candy can also damage tooth enamel, which is irreplaceable. When you eat sour candy, its high acid content can corrode the top layer of the skin on the tongue, making it feel raw and sensitive.

The WHO has also warned that sour candy contains an active ingredient called glycyrrhizic acid that can trigger hypertension in the body. The sugar in sour candy also creates an environment that allows bad bacteria to increase in number by feeding on sugar. So what exactly is going on here? Can too much sour candy really cause the layers of the tongue to start to peel off? Apparently, yes. When a person eats sour candy, their tongue releases a chemical that mixes with the chemicals in the candy and has disastrous consequences. To play it safe, it's best to stay away from spicy, sour, and sweet foods until you're cured.